help newsletters advertisers Booking: 0872 442 5038

Château de Saumur





At the end of the 14th century, Louis, the first Duke of Anjou and brother of King Charles V, transformed the fortress of his ancestor Saint Louis into a country residence. Saumur castle's then became a luxurious palace.
In 1480 after the death of King René, the last Duke of Anjou, Saumur returned to the King of France, Louis XI. The monument successively became a residence for the town governors, a prison and subsequently an arms and munitions dump.
In 1906, it was bought by the town for the purpose of housing the municipal museum.

Add this place to your selection

Château de Saumur

49400 Saumur

Tel : +33 2 41 83 30 21
Fax : +33 2 41 40 24 49

Contact : Nathalie Fourreau - Promotion du Château de Saumur

Railroad Station : Saumur (1 Km)
Airport : Nantes (120 Km)

Cliquez pour plus de détailsTours

News of the chateaux (in French)


Leisure on site :

Parking :

  • Private parking

Situation :

  • Town